Fall has been a blur in the studio this year all thanks to a delightful little cookie. We were hired to create our very first stop motion animation set to be used in a Halloween campaign by Oreo. The project was to shoot five vine videos that would be released, one a day, the week of Halloween on the various social media used by Oreo-- Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. The basic premise was that in the Oreo Laboratorium, Oreo cookies were being combined with other candies to create new creatures called Nomsters. The videos would show the origins of each Nomster.
The ad agency, 360i, contacted us about designing and building a miniature mad scientist laboratory where all the action was to happen. In addition to the large set (approx 64"long x 24"deep x 30"high), we provided the miniature props that outfitted the set and interacted with the Nomsters. It was a tight building schedule, we had about a week and a half to create everything, but in the end that may have been a blessing in that we had to really streamline the designs.
As it usually happens, Lori concentrated on the bones of the set, established the scale, color palette, and got to work building furniture and laboratory-esque machines that would really give the set a spooky feel. I focused on the smaller pieces that would populate the shelves, cover the tables, and essentially fill in the corners of the space. It became all consuming and it took us up to the absolute last minute to complete everything. We have learned from making other sets that flexibility and offering many options is the way to go. As we have learned, and has proven true for each job like this we have worked on, inspiration and improvisation on set are inevitable so we have to do our best to be ready to assist.
This job was unique (at least to us) in that the finished videos were going to be used across various social media platforms. So when the director and animator were planning the shots they had to take absolutely everything into account. It was incredible to witness their process as they discussed lenses, aspect ratios, camera angles, and lighting concerns. It is so different than the "fine art" work that Lori and I do, which in many respects seems quite simple compared to juggling all of these moving parts.
It was a long, intense week of filming but with great results. In the end, everyone was quite pleased with the completed videos. We hope you like them too!